City on a Hill is the English Ministry of Young Nak Presbyterian Church of Toronto. Young Nak Church is an active member of the denomination, The Korean Presbyterian Church Abroad, which adheres to the following statement of faith and Creed.
City on a Hill exists to:
LEAD PEOPLES NEAR AND FAR TO BECOME DEVOTED FOLLOWERS OF JESUS CHRIST.
Our Goals and Values
We are working and praying toward seeing these goals manifested in all our people and the people we interact with.
Grow in God
Growing in God begins with the Gospel. The Gospel is the good news that Jesus Christ, God’s Son, died on the cross and rose again from the dead, so that our sins might be forgiven, and we could be accepted by God. Growing in God means you’ve become a Christian and you’re beginning to experience a personal relationship with God, as you learn to follow his teachings found in the bible.
Grow in the Word
Growing in the Word begins with the bible. The bible is God’s story, his words of love to us. It tells us who God is, his purpose for the world, how we can know him, and how we are to live. Our church believes in the authority and inerrancy of the Bible. A person begins to change and grow as they are listening to, reading, studying, memorizing and meditating on the bible. And as you obey what God’s word says, you begin to change.
Grow with Each Other
Growing with Each Other means you’re a part of a small group community. You were not meant to be an island on a vast ocean. We were all made for each other. Whether you are a Christian or not, we believe that people grow best when we are in community. Continue your search for God or deepen your relationship with God by making new friends here at City on a Hill, by asking the person who brought you here more about the Christian faith, and by joining a Life Group.
Reach the World
Reaching the World is the mission of the church. As our vision statement says, we believe that our purpose is to know God and to help others know him. Our church is doing our small part to reach our neighbors here in our city as well as our neighbors in different countries. We hope to see all Christians in our church share their faith with those in your circle of influence and to be involved in helping people meet God here in our city and abroad.
Who are we?
- We are Presbyterian in tradition and in church government meaning that our roots are from the English Puritans of the 1500-1600’s.
- We are Reformed in our theology, meaning that we believe in the sovereignty of God.
- We are evangelical, meaning we believe in the authority of the Holy Bible for all we do as a church and as persons.
- We believe in engaging culture, society, and the world, not escaping from it.
- We are a Korean Canadian Immigrant church, and we are the adult ministry that worships in English.
- We are made up of primarily 2nd and 3rd generation Koreans, though we have 1.0, 1.5 and non-Koreans in our community.
- We are growing in our multi-ethnicity. We embrace this as a gift from God and as a reflection of our multi-cultural church. 28% of our couples are bi-racially married.
- We are intergenerational, comprised of university/college aged, singles, married, and families.