City on a Hill will only officiate the marriages of two Christians or two non-Christians — between one man and one woman. We will not officiate the marriage of a Christian and a non-Christian. Same sex marriages are not Biblical and will not be performed at City on a Hill / Young Nak Church.
A non-Christian Marriage
Because marriage is an institution introduced by God at the time of creation, it is a good thing for all of humanity, and not just for Christians. So, if you are a couple visiting/attending our church, but have not yet become Christians, you may be married at City on a Hill / Young Nak Church.
A Christian Marrying a Non-Christian
The scriptures make it plain that a Christian is to only marry another Christian and must not marry one who is not of the same faith. There are many scriptural references to prove this statement.
(Deu 7:3-4; Neh 10:30; 1 Cor 7:39; 2 Cor 6:14-16)
Remarriage After an Illegitimate Divorce
If a Christian obtains an illegitimate divorce, a remarriage may not be officiated.
Because marriage is the second most important decision you will ever make (after the decision to become a Christian), we want to ensure that your marriage will get off to a good start. Thus, we insist that all couples seeking to get married, sign up for Premarital Counselling Courses. In fact, we will not marry you unless you complete this course. This course is offered twice every year – once in the Spring and once in the Fall. Sign up for the course that is offered 3-6 months prior to your wedding date. There is a small fee for this course which covers the cost of the curriculum.
Some things to note:
- The bible teaches that Christians are only to marry Christians (Deut. 7:3-4; 1 Cor 7:39; 2 Cor 6:14). We will not officiate your wedding if a Christian is marrying a non-Christian.
Please introduce your non-Christian partner to an evangelistic bible study like Christianity Explored offered seasonally, so he/she may come to accept the Lord Jesus Christ as their Saviour. Then sign up for premarital classes.
- The bible teaches that marriage is only between one man and one woman. Same sex unions will not be sanctioned at City on a Hill / Young Nak Church.
- If you are a Christian and are co-habitating with your spouse-to-be, and sharing conjugal relations, you are living in sin. We ask that you repent, one of you move out, and remain chaste until your wedding. If you refuse to change your living status, we will not officiate your wedding.
- If you or your spouse have been previously married, please speak to the pastor about this matter.
If you are a member of our church community and if you desire one of our pastors to officiate your wedding, please use the following step-by-step instructions.
- If you wish to be married at Young Nak Church or by a City on a Hill Pastor, please fill out the premarital registration form and email it to the church office. Contact the pastor to see if he/she is able to officiate your weddings. The pastor will arrange an interview with the couple to discuss matters related to your wedding.
- Sign up with the CoaH office for the next available premarital class (5 weeks), offered in the spring and fall.
- The date of your wedding should take into consideration the following items.
- the availability of the officiant;
- the availability of one of the church chapels. Do this at the Korean Ministry church office well in advance of your rehearsal and ceremony dates;
- the availability of your reception facility;
- wedding reservations at Young Nak/City on a Hill are not taken during the Lent season, which begins with Ash Wednesday (46 days before Easter Sunday) OR on a Sunday.
- The use of one of the church chapels is allowed for members and attendees only. There is no fee to use the chapel. However a love offering can be given to the church if you so desire. Due to the busyness of the church building, it is unlikely you will be able to use the gymnasium for your reception. We suggest you use one of the many nearby restaurants/buffets.
- Reserve the chapel for a rehearsal for a day or two before your wedding, in coordination with the pastor’s availability.
- You are responsible for acquiring your own ushers, musicians, audio and video technicians, and set up and clean up crews.
To sign up for classes, Contact Us.